Warm up the house! Cold air rolls in!
Forecasters anticipate frigid temperatures throughout the Northeast over the next few days. Low temperatures combined with strong winds means an increased potential for frozen and burst pipes.
Here are a few tips from one of our providers, Arbella Mutual Insurance,…to help safeguard against frozen pipes.
• Leave the heat up! Set the thermostat and leave it set to the same temperature day and night.
• Open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around plumbing.
• If you have an attached garage, keep the doors shut. Wind and cold air drafts increase the likelihood of a frozen pipe.
• If you are going away shut off the water supply line to your washing machine.
• Drain and shut off all outside spigots.
• Have someone check on the house.
Once the ice melts and the temperatures rise the water will start to flow. Mark the main water supply line so it can be easily identified.
The good news…the forecast predicts that these severely cold temperatures won’t last long.